"I hold on to You for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post..." Psalm 63

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reality check

I sat next to my sister tonight at the third funeral we've attended in less than six months.  I'm not a fan of them...but all three of them were beautiful women who left behind the aroma of Christ in their wake.  
And each one left a deep impression on me.  

When you sit through someone else's life celebration you cannot help but wonder what words your own life speaks...and if they are words that will matter when you are tucked away in a beautiful box.

Funerals are a good reality check.

No matter how hard you work
or what riches you accumulate
No matter what you've spent your life doing
or how well you did it...
We all eventually must leave this temporary world
and every one of us leaves it the same way
empty-handed

All we have leftover 
are the lives that we touched 
and the legacy that we left.

Someone else gets all the stuff.

"In the same way let your light shine in front of people. 
Then they will see the good that you do and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16

2 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I just figured out who it was that went home...I didn't know her but I know Pastor Doug. I'm sad for his loss....

Praying for the family - and knowing God has called her home...

Loretta said...

Terri,
Thank you for your comments about Janet. I shared them Mom (Gehman). She passed them on to someone else.... God has given you a gift of words. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com