"I hold on to You for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post..." Psalm 63

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Discoveries...

 I never thought of myself as being foolishly sentimental
but I've discovered some things about myself lately that surprise me.
Maybe the surprise is in the fact that I'm still surprising myself.
You'd think by my age I'd know everything there is to know about ME.

The other day this slipped out of the pages of an old Bible of mine.
It must be about 10 years old.
 I remember the day Nick drew this.  
We were sitting in church 
and he presented it to me mid-service with a grin.
I loved it then
but I loved it more the day I rediscovered it.
Look closely...
"God is God"
It doesn't matter that this son is not a natural-born speller,
I knew what he meant to say all those years ago.
"God is good"
But what he actually said blesses me all the more.
And I need to be reminded of this Truth just about 
every
single
day.

"God is God"
...from the mouth of babes...

"I gave in, and admitted that God was God."
C. S. Lewis


In the midst of a week of more rain than sun,
I managed to have lunch outside with something else that surprised me.
I've always loved old books
They've been around me most of my life
but usually as a piece of "art" 
and not so much because I make it a habit to read them on a regular basis.
I shared the other day of my love for my grandmother's copy of
I love it
 partly because it was her mother's
 and then hers
and partly because it is old.
And to me, old books like this represent 
wisdom
ancient words of Truth,
written down to be rediscovered through the generations.
Secrets, there out in the open
but often ignored.

It's how I feel about the generation of World War II veterans that are leaving us quickly...
there is so much history 
so much depth
that we have lost 
and replaced over the years.

Everything that is shiny and new has replaced what is old and weathered...
and without realizing it we have lost what was once prized.

The simple 
outdone by the complicated.

I suppose that is why when I found this book in our church library,
penned in 1895
it spoke to me....
There were others by this author,
all with shiny new covers
and written in modern-day language
But THIS one
this one needed to be rediscovered by someone.
I noticed that it has not been checked out of for over 10 years...
I couldn't put it down.
{Even when the librarian tried heartily to draw me to other titles by this author}
It was the appearance and the age 
I had no idea what the book was even about...
I just knew I needed to hold it for a little while.

"With Christ"
by Andrew Murray

Not coincidentally,
the words inside the cover were ones I need to 
hear
and 
practice

"With Christ:
In the School of Prayer"

The ancient art of a life dedicated to prayer
The pages are fragile,
unblemished by the markings of a pen
I forego my desire to highlight and mark it as I do in my own 
not because it's more sacred
but because it's not mine
and I have to return it May 1st.
{I'm working on a good speech about why I should purchase this copy from the library
and replace it with a shinier version that apparently others would prefer to borrow.}

"If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."
C. S. Lewis


I've discovered a few things about other people this week, too.
HE thinks it's perfectly fine to grab his fishing pole and 
drive the mower down to the creek in our backyard to fish.
HE forgets that a gallon of gas costs more than a VALUE MEAL.
{and hopefully HE enjoyed that trip, because it's the last}
 SHE has discovered that  if you stretch several cords together, 
the laptop reaches out to the driveway and 
sunbathing is more fun when you're on facebook.

HE came home to visit last weekend.
And has discovered throughout the week that he is terribly allergic to SOMETHING.
HE is back again this weekend...with hives.
Benadryl is his new companion until a visit to an allergist can be arranged.

Yesterday, I discovered THIS
 Apparently it was 
"DRIVE YOUR TRACTOR TO SCHOOL Day"
Only in Lancaster County might you drive past the local high school 
and see these babies parked in between the lines.
I have so many questions about this:
1. Do you need a license to drive them?
2. Do they get good gas mileage?
3. Where can I buy one?

"The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing — to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from — my country, the place where I ought to have been born. 
Do you think it all meant nothing, all the longing? The longing for home?
 For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back."
— C.S. Lewis 

1 comment:

Jeane` said...

Loved reading of every last little discovery. One of them made me feel as though I should go retreive those charming old books I use to add 'decor with character' to my shelves and actually read them! Another discover (fishing commute) made me laugh aloud. As did envisioning passing you along the road driving one of those big tractors....

Love to you! Thank you for posting...I always eagerly click your link when I see the update!

A faithful follower. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com