"I hold on to You for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post..." Psalm 63

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

coffee, company and contentment...

I had breakfast here yesterday

I meant to have the cup of decaf, but I didn't mean to have the muffin...it just happened.  AND, it was so cute in the little parchment wrapper that I had to take a picture of it before I devoured it.  It wasn't my fault, I would have had breakfast at home, but my friend, Deb, called...


(That's Deb's husband's eye...I left that in there because he joined us in the fact that he called her three times while we were together...whatever!)

...and said, "I'll meet if you can meet NOW".  Which translated to, "Come now, or you won't see me again for another 6 months." So, I went...without a shower - OR washing my hair.  Can't believe I just admitted that, but it's true, stealing a few hours catching up with my friend was more important than showering.  (Are you buying this???) I did put some makeup on...didn't want to scare Starbuck's other paying customers away....but I left my coat and hat on for the entire visit.  (If you were at Starbucks yesterday and saw me looking a little too bundled up for indoors....now you know why.)

My shower this morning felt extra clean...and my hair has a little shine to it again today.  I'm so thankful for running water.  (Even though ours has been tainted with E.coli for the last 4 days) I realized how thankful I am to actually have running water this morning after not having a shower yesterday.  I spent a week in Africa this summer in villages where people have never HAD a shower...

Actually, I "showered" in here


for about 5 days (also known as the Village laundramat)

and I visited this little guy

more times than I could count.

E.coli-infested water that comes directly out of my facets is better than walking through the jungle to fetch a pail of contaminated water.  I forget that sometimes when I have to take a cup of Spring water to the bathroom to brush my teeth.  It's inconvenient...but still WAY more convenient than the way a good portion of the world lives. 

Word of the day: CONTENTMENT

"a state of mind in which one's desires are confined to his lot whatever it may be"

By the way...I got the letter from the Borough in the mail today...E.coli ban has been lifted.  99.99% of the E.coli has been cleaned out of the system.  I told the kids not to drink 100% water.

4 comments:

Jeane` said...

LOVED this post....it brought laughter after a very tiresome day. You are a gifted writer, my friend!!!
J.

lindsey said...

Those muffins...they just do that dont they? One minute its just a coffee, then there it is on your plate. Lovely post, we sometimes have to experience how other people live to really understand just how blessed we are.

Terri said...

Yes, lindsey...total eye opening experience..but as you can see, I still struggle remembering I don't always need everything I think I do! JUST SAY NO TO THE MUFFINS!

Happy Harris said...

hello honey :) its nice to meet you over here...I love your blog and the way you write :)

I got those cannisters last year in NEXT its a lifestyle store here in Blighty - they usually sell quite modern attire, but these bright spotty pieces caught my eye.

I hope you find them...

Love Happy xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com