"I hold on to You for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post..." Psalm 63

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sleepovers...

I'm not a fan of them.  Never have been and I will probably never be.  Some smart-alec {wow, I never actually wrote that...don't even know if there is a proper spelling} decided to call "a night that you invite all your friends over to stay up all night and giggle over silly nothings" a SLEEPover.  Whoever it was, was most definitely under the age of 18 and probably thought that if they give it this name then children all over the world will pull the wool over their parents eyes.  Somehow we adults have been hoodwinked.  We bought the lie and have continued to pass the lie down with each new generation.
 Someone should put a stop to this and give it a new name. 

"All-Night-Laugh-Over"
"Giggle-Over"
"Non-Sleeping-Over"
"Eat-Junk-Food-All-Night-Over"
"See-How-Quickly-We-Can-Wreck-Your-House-Over"

All good names I would vote for.

Ok, just because if you've read my last post and have gotten this far on this one and have decided I am the most negative, pinched lipped mother you know...I will change the subject and get to the point.

Here's the thing I just realized.  While the night of a sleepover is loathesome to me, the next morning- after the crowd has stayed awake for a marathon amount of time-they actually sleep in.  If you draw the curtains in the room and turn on a noisy fan, then parents all over the world can secretly take their revenge and none of the "party members" will be the wiser.  Such is the state of this house this morning...

9:57am and not a peep...
Giving me time to sleep in a little, shower, dress, and have a cup of coffee and some quiet time on my porch.

{By the way, here in Eastern PA the weather is the kind you dream of after days of 90 degree heat.}

I'm still reading "The Pursuit of God" by AW Tozer...it's the kind of book I read in chunks...and the name of today's chapter was "The Gaze of the Soul".  If you could see my book, you'd see that it is one of my favorite chapters, based on the fact that just about every page has something underlined or starred. 

The theme is Faith.
"The gaze of a soul upon a saving God"

The challenge is the keeping of our eyes on the Father.
The "continuous look at God".

"While we are looking at God we do not see ourselves - blessed riddance.  The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One.  While he looks at Christ, the very things he has so long been trying to do will be getting done within him..."

I think I could have loved this man, AW, that is. Granted, to do so I would have had to be in my prime in the 1950's and I'm not sure I want to give up my laptop or my ipod...but I love his heart and his passion for Jesus.  His use of words and his blunt way of saying it like it is.  He hurts me and steps on my toes sometimes...but he does it for my own good.  That's a good man.  I don't know very many of them.  And maybe that's the point...for him to show me the blessed walk of knowing the One and Only who is the epitome of a Good Man.  Though my human nature may tell me I need otherwise, this continual gaze upon the Lord brings with it confirmation that it is Him that I need. 

Thanks, A.W.,  I needed that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BlogWithIntegrity.com